10 Ways to prepare for storm season
Here are some tips for you to know before a storm hits…
- Understand your insurance policy. Know what’s covered in the event of a storm and the deductible amounts.
- Clean the gutters. Remove debris and make sure nothing is clogging the path and that water can run down gutters freely.
- Check your roof. Make sure all shingles are properly nailed down. Have a contractor do a roof inspection to spot damage before it could grow worse in a storm.
- Trim your trees. Nothing is worse than having a tree fall down on a roof. Help them spot the dangers of having trees too close to a house. Keep trees trimmed and maintained.
- Maintain your property. Keep flying debris to a minimum by making sure your property doesn’t have anything that can propel and damage the house or roof.
- Secure heavy furniture around your house. Before a storm, it’s best to tie down or move patio furniture indoors to keep them from flying and hurting the house or worse.
- Install high-quality GAF Timberline® ArmorShield™ II or Grand Sequoia® IR shingles on the roof. These shingles both pass UL 2218 Class 4 rating impact tests (the highest possible).
- Prepare a list of high-quality contractors in your area. Many contractors blow into town with the storm, not us. We are a reputable, trustworthy neighborhood contractor.
- Put together an emergency kit for your home and car. Include water, non-perishable food, flashlight, batteries, blanket, first aid kit, cell phone and copies of important documents.
- Keep informed about the weather and have a safety plan. If you hear of a storm coming, consider going to a safe location away from harm’s way.